[Feedhenry-raincatcher] Docs vs code releases

Paolo Haji phajidec at redhat.com
Mon Dec 4 13:11:25 UTC 2017

The parts of the final documentation that do not come from the asciidoc
sources are AFAIK:
- External media (i.e. the front page video)
- Typedoc-generated API docs

Historical versions of the API docs can currently be retrieved via checking
out the tagged versions of the code repositories and re-generating them
with the documentation tooling.
Not trivial of course but just pointing out there are ways to get it :)

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Wojciech Trocki <wtrocki at redhat.com> wrote:

> This tags are only for the asciidocs *source code*, but not final render
> that is on *github-pages *branch.
> We may also tag *github-pages* branch to enable users to download or see
> previous versions without building them.
> That will be really comprehensive solution to enable all possible format
> and versions available.
>

> Additionally in the future we may need to enable two versions of the
> documentation to be available directly from website.
> For example for 1.x and 2.x version. This has a lots of maintenance
> implications and IMHO we should avoid doing that for 1.x releases.

I agree that changing the website to host all versions of the docs would be
quite some work, but technically possible.
For now we can definitely start generating the tags for the content that
gets published to the gh-pages branch, like 1.0.0-gh-branches@{hash}. With
this someone would only need to git checkout the tag and serve it on a
local static web server to view the contents.

--

PAOLO HAJI

SOFTWARE ENGINEER, RED HAT MOBILE APPLICATION PLATFORM

Red Hat Brasil <https://www.redhat.com/>

phaji at redhat.com
<https://red.ht/sig> TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>