[Feedhenry-raincatcher] Getting Starting meeting outcome

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Tue Feb 7 16:28:20 UTC 2017

OK guys, so wow that was a really good call.

Notes from the call are here :
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11myFeWfSEqHccF7q2Btyndws5lqcpLz7zPVCwDMyquk/edit#heading=h.3yjtygvgu7vs

I had a talk with Nial after the call finished and we came up with these
action items :

We are going to table the getting started experience stuff I was working on
for now in favor of moving the code in a direction that makes it more
obvious for how to get started.  We will then pick up the getting started
effort based on that.  (See RAINCATCH-518)

Peter Darrow(should he accept), Nial, and myself will work on that JIRA.

We will also review Paulo's HTTP mediator code.  We have in a few places
duplicated similar functionality and having a simpler way of bridging
topics across the client/cloud divide is a very compelling use-case for the
"core" Raincatcher experience.

These previous three points will hopefully also make it easier to answer
"What is Raincatcher".  Right now Raincatcher is presented as a loosely
coupled collection of WFM modules.  In reality we should start with
presenting it as a implementation of a general event based client server
architecture and then lead people into the WFM features.

Right now our project is presented with WFM first which hides a lot of the
"why" of Raincatcher.

Finally, I want to kill the term "Raincatcher module".  This is for several
reasons.  First, in Javascript a module is often conflated with a npm
package and may be one of several formats.  Secondly, we deliver
functionality thought Angular which has its own module definition.  So
currently a Raincatcher module is distributed as a CommonJS module which
contains Angular modules that are consumed by our clients' applications.
So consider this "open season" for word smithing.

All of these individual things, taken together, should make presenting,
explaining, and understanding Raincatcher much more straight forward and
will inform the getting started experience.

Summers