[Feedhenry-raincatcher] Raincatcher feedback from a newbie

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Fri Jan 27 13:55:43 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 3:18 AM, Niall Donnelly <ndonnell at redhat.com> wrote:

> Apologies for my late reply. Comments inline below.
>
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 7:28 PM, Paolo Haji <phaji at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to try adding my individual inputs to each point as well because
>> I think they're very nicely put
>> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Summers Pittman <supittma at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> 0.  I've had Raincatcher described to me as a architecture for writing
>>> Raincatcher applications using Raincatcher modules.  For workforce
>>> management.
>>>

>> From my start with the team I considered the project a set of apps with a
>> feature set around workforce management that would be minimally configured
>> to cater to customers' business needs (and maybe cosmetics/branding as
>> well), and that a lot of that would be covered mostly by Forms.
>> I think I formed this mental image due to the development process
>> focusing on the demo projects (both for new features and for verification
>> of issues), and the starting point being the template in Studio that just
>> gives you all the demo projects.
>> It's very important for us to have a vision of what Raincatcher should be
>> to progress toward, specially with the opensourcing efforts.
>>

> [Niall] Yes, the intention is to produce a set of loosely-coupled modules
> that implement the functionality required to build a workforce management
> application. The intention is for the modules to be the building blocks of
> a larger application, using the mediator pattern to communicate between
> them. The modules should also be able to stand alone. Any interaction with
> functionality outside the remit of their own domain (e.g. fh-wfm-workorder
> only deals with logic related to workorders) should be done using mediator
> topics. By building the solution from loosely coupled modules, the
> intention is to make the process of customising the solution much easier
> for the developer as they can swap out the fh-wfm-user module for their own
> user module that has different authentication mechanisms. The internal
> working of the fh-wfm-user or my-wfm-user module should be abstracted from
> the consumer of the application. As long as the module publishes and
> subscribes to the same topics it should just plug into the existing
> solution.
>
> The same principle applies to developers that want to extend the
> functionality of the demo solution. Developers should be able to create
> their own modules that publish their own topics and subscribe to topics
> published by other modules.
>
> That is the goal of the project, however we are not there yet. I am
> spiking Epics at the moment around how we can better improve the boundaries
> between the modules and application code. Ideally, the applications would
> just initialise the relevant modules (both fh-wfm- and custom developer
> defined modules) with configuration.

In order to achieve this goal then we need to much better document the
expectations the message queues expect of their messages.

As an example, it seems like there is a relationship between workorders and
workflows.  This relationship is alluded to in the workorder README in the
example workorder, but it is never ever documented.  I'm sure I can repeat
this example ad nauseum.

Is there a JIRA to document these dependencies and expectations?  Is there
some kind of language tooling we can use to check that data provided meets
those expectations at compile time?