[Feedhenry-raincatcher] Raincatcher feedback from a newbie

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Fri Jan 27 14:04:33 UTC 2017

>>> 1.  The highly decoupled nature of the codebase hides how the modules
>>> should interact with each other. By should I mean you can't look at the
>>> demo project and quickly get an idea of how one should architect a
>>> greenfield RC application.
>>>
>> Not something I've particularly faced since as in (0) I had never thought
>> of 'a greenfield RC application' before. However I think that the current
>> codebase is currently very coupled in hidden ways, in which there is a lot
>> of required functionality for the individual modules is expected to be
>> supplied by the utilizing application and vice-versa. I talk more about
>> this in (4)
>>

> [Niall] Agreed, we definitely need a green field guide for developers to
> get up and running with a couple of our modules and possibly their own. I
> have created an Epic to capture this work. I originally thought with better
> code comments and documentation for the demo solution, it would be enough
> for developers to get started with. But it is becoming clear to me that
> even with good documentation and refactoring around the full solution, I
> think it will always be too much of a slope for developers to get started
> with.

I agree with your observation.  I will expand on the technical reasons of
why I agree drawing from my own experience trying to do anything using
Raincatcher.

The code comments are only viable if we expect people to be interacting
with the uncompiled sources during development.  This behavior is very
difficult to support in the JavaScript ecosystem.  Furthermore, because the
modules are decoupled the tooling is further limited in its ability to
provide the needed context.

As far as the demo application goes, it hides a lot of the dependencies and
expectations of the initial environment, as well as the dependencies and
assumptions of the existence of the RHMAP platform.  Also, browserify
obfuscates the obvious entry points into the demo.

Can you link the epic you created?  The Tutorial I have started will
probably be a good task to add to it.