[Freeipa-devel] Windows Interop/Samba Integration

Marc Richards email.marc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 19:19:07 UTC 2008

Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 12:47 -0500, Marc Richards wrote:
>
>> What is the plan for Windows Interop and Samba integration in FreeIPA,
>> particularly as it relates to people who don't have Active Directory. I
>> noticed that the 1.0 Requirements doc specifies the following:
>>
>> "[Req11.2] IPA clients: The windows client will rely on the IPA server
>> for account information and Authentication services. The IPA server will
>> act as an NT4 style domain controller. Only NTLM authentication will be
>> supported in this release, no Kerberos" [1]
>>

> We had to drop this requirement for v1.0
> We are evaluating various solutions involving either samba3 or samba4
> for following versions, but have still not settled on a definitive
> choice.

Thanks for the prompt response.  Any chance of some kind of wiki
document for manually achieving this kind of setup with 1.0?  Seems to
me like there might be a number of people interested in the use case. Is
it much more than setting up Samba as an NT4 style domain controller and
using freeIPA as the backend? Could I then tell an samba based file
server hosted on another box to use the users and groups from the
"freeIPA Samba server"?

If you don't have time to document it on the wiki some links to point in
the right direction would be appreciated.

Marc