[Freeipa-devel] Windows Interop/Samba Integration

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Mon Feb 11 18:05:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 22:53 +0200, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> Unfortunately Windows is a part of any reasonably sized network, even
> small ones. Being as dumb as it is, it doesn't wanna talk to anything
> except their own Active Directory.

This is true.

> Not sure whether this might be a viable options, but did anyone test
> pGina. In short, it's like PAM for Windows, with many plugins to
> handle different sources of authentication. If we couple that with
> some kind of on-server user profiles automounting, we have some sort
> of domain for windows. I'm not sure though, if Windows can recognize
> all domain users/groups, as the way I understand pGina works, is by
> creating a local user after authenticating them over the network.

This is how Novell stuff was built to work. The problem being you don't
really want to write code for Windows unless you have some assurance it
will not be broken at the next Service Pack release. Although an MS-Gina
plugin (and its successor as IIRC Vista has something different), may be
evaluated at some point.

>  It's ugly, but I thought I would mention it too.
> Of course the king would be samba4 ... waiting ....

I think samba4 will be a better solution for integration, indeed.