[Freeipa-devel] contribution policy update, what's next

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Aug 4 21:58:24 UTC 2009

Yesterday I lurked on a call with Stephen Gallagher and Richard
Fontana, legal expert on FLOSS licensing.

Due to audio problems, I wasn't able to fully participate, but I did
hear an implicit agreement to the contribution policy draft I wrote
up.

I think it may need a few tweaks; I'm going to propose some and get
Richard back on the phone to get an explicit OK from him.

Stephen -- since SSSD has it's own upstream space, do you want me to
work up a draft contribution policy for there?  That is, I know your
licensing questions are still open, but we can get a draft with
alternate endings depending on potential outcomes.

== What's next ==

With the CLA requirement removed, next I have to enumerate exactly
where it stands as a barrier and figure out how to remove it.  There
are some other technological barriers to reconsider.

For any system we require a CLA for e.g. fedorahosted.org access, that
is just a human check process, right?  We remove the CLA requirement
when considering people for SCM access.

For patches, we need to figure out how to structure it so that people
can contribute patches via this list with it clear the patch is
submitted under the contribution policy.  Perhaps a single sentence +
URL at the beginning of each patch email?  It seems to me we could
also have people add themselves to a list via the wiki (history proves
the real user did it), and if you are on there, you don't need to
include the sentence in your patches.  Obviously a better solution is
needed, meaning we need to run our own directory or rely more upon an
external (e.g. Fedora Account System).  We might be able to get by
with OpenID, for example.

For the wiki, we can remove the human requirement, but we still have a
technical barrier for entry.  It would be smoothest if people could:

1. Sign up for an account
2. In that sign-up they read the contribution policy and agree to it
   as part of signing up
3. They get wiki edit access

All automatic with no human intervention required.

Figuring out solutions there is my next important task once we have a
solid contribution policy to refer to.

Meanwhile, if we can widen the field of people with "Create wiki users
upon request", that would be good.  I volunteer.  Maybe for now an
email request for access to a freeipa-* list would suffice?

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41