[Freeipa-devel] Releasing testing tools as standalone projects

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 09:11:09 UTC 2014

On 3.11.2014 16:47, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Petr Viktorin wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> There's been some interest in releasing pieces of FreeIPA's testing
>> infrastructure so it can be reused in other projects.
>> I will soon take the pytest-beakerlib plugin (currently in my patch
>> 0672), and making a stand-alone project out of it. Later I'll extract
>> the common pieces of the integration testign framework, and release that
>> independently.
>>

>> Do we want projects projects like these to be hosted on Fedorahosted?
>> That would be the 100% open-source solution.
>>
>> Or do we want to put it under a freeipa organization on Github, since
>> we're more likely to get external contributors there?
>
> Why do you think it would get more contributors from github? Because yet
> another account isn't required, or the contributor process is perhaps
> better understood (via pull requests)?

IMHO yes. Even for me it is much easier to quickly do

- git clone
- edit source
- git push
- create pull request
(*this is the same for every project hosted on Github*)

instead of

- git clone
- edit source
(re-do following again for every single project)
- hunt submission how-to
- join mailing list/create account in project's tracker
- prepare patch in project's format-of-choice
- send patch

--
Petr^2 Spacek