[Freeipa-users] ipa impressions and more questions

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Wed Sep 17 15:33:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 18:16 +0300, Ivan Levchenko wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Ideally we suggest you use kerberos for authentication, but you can use
> > ldap too.
>
> I asking, because I want to setup email servers with a unified user
> database. Can kerberos return the email address of the user and/or
> mailbox location?

No kerberos is used only for authentication, it is not an information
source, for that you can use ldap.

> This brings up another question that I was very interested in. Will
> IPA's web interface support adding custom fields to a users
> description/profile? for example: mailbox location and any other
> things that could be used for any arbitrary app? Currently, I'm
> planning on adding it directly to ldap. to the users that I will be
> needing to have it.

I think we had a way to add new fields, but I can't recall details right
now, worst case you can "customize" the python code, although that is a
bit of last resort option as it would mean you have to keep your patch
updated for each update/upgrade :-)

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York