[Freeipa-users] User keytab file

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Wed May 13 04:16:04 UTC 2009

----- "Daniel Scott" <djscott at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a FreeIPA server configured and working. I'm now trying to
> automate a few processes and have a question regarding user keytabs.
> I'm looking to enable passwordless authentication/login for a
> particular user.
>
> I have followed the instructions found here:
> http://kb.iu.edu/data/aumh.html
>
> >From the above page, it appears that I can do this using a user
> keytab. I have created a user named 'backup' and given it a good,
> long
> password. I then created a user keytab file using the following
> command:
>
> # ktutil
> ktutil: addent -password -p backup -k 1 -e des-cbc-crc
> ktutil: addent -password -p backup -k 2 -e des3-cbc-sha1
> ktutil: wkt /etc/backup.keytab
>
> I can display the contents of this keytab and it appears to have been
> created successfully. Then, I should be able to authenticate using
> the
> following command, correct?
>
> # kinit backup -k -t /etc/backup.keytab
> kinit(v5): Key table entry not found while getting initial
> credentials
>
> The server logs show the following:
>
> May 12 11:54:34 example.com krb5kdc[12175](info): AS_REQ (7 etypes
> {18
> 17 16 23 1 3 2}) 192.168.1.50: NEEDED_PREAUTH: backup at EXAMPLE.COM for
> krbtgt/EXAMPLE.COM at EXAMPLE.COM, Additional pre-authentication
> required

This is fine, I need the next line in the log to see what's the problem.
If you don't have a next line, then something is definitely "Wrong"

> I have tried numerous combinations of the username in the kinit
> command, but I cannot obtain a ticket. Does anyone have any
> suggestions? Am I approaching this in the wrong way? Am I using the
> wrong hashing algorithm?
>
> A little more background information:
> 1. The backup.keytab has permissions 600 and is owned by backup.
> 2. I have also tried this as root.

I don't have enough information to be sure (logs) but one of your problems
maybe that you came up with arbitrary (as in made up) kvno numbers.
(the -k option to addent in ktutil).

Simo.

P.s: You may also want to use better encryption algorithms (like arcfour
or aes, rather than des).