[Freeipa-users] User keytab file

Daniel Scott djscott at mit.edu
Wed May 27 16:55:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

2009/5/13 Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com>:
>> I have a FreeIPA server configured and working. I'm now trying to
>> automate a few processes and have a question regarding user keytabs.
>> I'm looking to enable passwordless authentication/login for a
>> particular user.
>>
>> I have followed the instructions found here:
>> http://kb.iu.edu/data/aumh.html
>>
>> >From the above page, it appears that I can do this using a user
>> keytab. I have created a user named 'backup' and given it a good,
>> long
>> password. I then created a user keytab file using the following
>> command:
>>
>> # ktutil
>> ktutil: addent -password -p backup -k 1 -e des-cbc-crc
>> ktutil: addent -password -p backup -k 2 -e des3-cbc-sha1
>> ktutil: wkt /etc/backup.keytab
>>
>> I can display the contents of this keytab and it appears to have been
>> created successfully. Then, I should be able to authenticate using
>> the
>> following command, correct?
>>
>> # kinit backup -k -t /etc/backup.keytab
>> kinit(v5): Key table entry not found while getting initial
>> credentials
>>
>> The server logs show the following:
>>
>> May 12 11:54:34 example.com krb5kdc[12175](info): AS_REQ (7 etypes
>> {18
>> 17 16 23 1 3 2}) 192.168.1.50: NEEDED_PREAUTH: backup at EXAMPLE.COM for
>> krbtgt/EXAMPLE.COM at EXAMPLE.COM, Additional pre-authentication
>> required
>
> This is fine, I need the next line in the log to see what's the problem.
> If you don't have a next line, then something is definitely "Wrong"
>
>> I have tried numerous combinations of the username in the kinit
>> command, but I cannot obtain a ticket. Does anyone have any
>> suggestions? Am I approaching this in the wrong way? Am I using the
>> wrong hashing algorithm?
>>
>> A little more background information:
>> 1. The backup.keytab has permissions 600 and is owned by backup.
>> 2. I have also tried this as root.
>
> I don't have enough information to be sure (logs) but one of your problems
> maybe that you came up with arbitrary (as in made up) kvno numbers.
> (the -k option to addent in ktutil).

Does anyone have any more suggestions for this? I've tried explicitly
stating the kvno, but no luck. It just seems like the keytab file is
not being recognised correctly. I still get the log message above, but
the error message on the command line looks like the kinit command
isn't even hitting the server - the error seems to be with the keytab
file.

Am I even approaching this in the correct way? All my searching on the
web seems to find information related to service principals rather
than user principals. There are another couple of sites which mention
principals such as username/admin at EXAMPLE.COM which I'm unsure about.

It's very strange that I can extract the keytab entry for a principal,
but then am told that the entry does not exist. Has anyone seen this
before?

Thanks,

Dan Scott