[Freeipa-users] Re: 389-ds and AD integration questions

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Tue Sep 22 10:43:48 UTC 2009

Rich Megginson wrote:
> Prashanth Sundaram wrote:

>>> If you have PAM Kerberos auth working, you should be able to use PAM
>>> Pass thru. I don't know the details though, but I do know that this is
>>> one of the primary use cases, to allow simple bind (username/password
>>> auth) clients to use their kerberos password.
>>>

>> Isn't IPA creating its own Kerberos/kdc server? For my setup, AD is the
>> kerberos server and I want 389-ds to query the AD for password. I do not
>> want to configure kerberos on 389-ds or do I have to do that anyway?.
>>
> You do not have to configure kerberos on 389-ds to use pam passthrough.
>> So If I am right, for 389-ds and AD to communicate and exchange data
>> they
>> both need to be Kerb servers?
> No.
>> If that is then do client unix machines need
>> to be configured with krb5.conf?
>>
> I believe you use something like pam_krb5 with 389 pam passthrough,
> which also requires krb5.conf
>> I am following the HowToKerberos from 389-ds, where you generate the
>> keytab
>> in Windows and register it in DS server.
>>
> But you're not using kerberos auth to 389-ds, you are using simple
> auth, and pam passthrough "passes through" the credentials to kerberos
> via pam and pam_krb5
>> I haven't seen a case scenario in documentation where PAM Passthru is
>> implemented with AD. And how the Krb5 is configured.

>>> The IPA winsync plugin will add missing posix attributes when syncing a
>>> new user entry from AD to IPA. It will not keep them in sync.
>>>

>> Is this same as passsync.msi plugin?
> No.
>> We are using Windows server 2008
>> 64-bit. Do we have it compatible?
> It doesn't matter - if you don't want to sync passwords from AD to
> IPA, you do not use PassSync.msi
>> How can I setup IPA for the above
>> scenario?
>>
> I think IPA enables the ipa-winsync plugin by default.

>>> Yes. IPA winsync will sync password changes from IPA to AD.
>>>
>> Is this a case where,

>>> Winsync will not sync the netgroups schema.
>>>

>> I wanted the unix hosts to be shown in 389-ds. Just like Windows
>> boxes are
>> joined to AD.
> Ok.  IPA should handle that.

Prashanth,

The setup is a bit confusing.
IPA v1 that is currently available can serve users and groups to
UNIX/Linux clients via nss_ldap.
One can also configure pam_ldap or pam_rkb5 to authenticate against IPA v1.
IPA v1 does not handle netgroups or hosts. These are the features of v2
that are coming.
However the whole point of the IPA is to be a domain controller for
UNIX/Linux machines and users.
If you are not planning to use IPA as a domain controller then you
should look at pure 389 deployment.
With 389 you can proxy authentications to AD and follow recommendations
and solutions described on 389 wiki.
However in this case you can't expect any of the IPA features
(especially the ones that we are working on now:
netgroups, automounts, hosts etc.)

Thank you
Dmitri