[Freeipa-users] Using already running dogtag-instance possible?

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Apr 12 13:47:12 UTC 2010

Oliver Burtchen wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> thanks for the answer. I know about the externel CA-Cert possibility of ipa-
> server- install. But it does not what I want.
>
> I did setup a dogtag ca and a fedora-ds (389). It would be nice, if freeipa
> could just use them. I find it a little bit inconsitent that dogtag tries to be
> a central service, and freeipa claims to be the same, setting up a new one.
>
> BTW.: Freeipa setup tells me, that it should be the only 389-instance, and
> exist gracefully. Well, my dogtag and bind setup with 389-backend works quiet
> well, i just want freeipa to use them.
>
> Is there a possibility to setup freeipa this way? Thanks for the all in one
> setup, but it means I cannot run an other ldap (389) server(-instance) on a
> machine where freeipa is running. Is this right?

The whole point of freeIPA is to make things simple for less
sophisticated setups than you have.
I am not sure something like what you are asking is possible with
freeIPA but I will defer to Rob to confirm.
I think you would have to effectively redo the freeIPA installer to make
things work the way you need.

There is no contradiction between what you observe. The freeIPA is in a
long term coming as a replacement of just stand alone CA, DS, KDC, DNS etc.
This is the vision.

And as far as I remember you are maintaining a separate instance of CA
just because of the lack functionality in the upstream CA.
I remember seeing some thread about it on the Dogtag list. For us it
would be a higher priority to address your original issue that causes
you to maintain a separate instance rather than move freeIPA into the
direction of supporting external instances.

Can you give a me a summary  of the issues that force you to maintain a
separate instance?
I will see what can be done about it.

Thanks
Dmitri