[Freeipa-users] Alpha 2 Bugs or Misconfigurations?

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Fri Feb 19 01:04:35 UTC 2010

Ryan Thomson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First off, thanks to the freeIPA team for releasing the next iteration
> of v2! I eagerly follow this project despite my limited deployment
> goals. As such, I've already downloaded the source code and built it
> on my Fedora 12 PPC server (IBM p505) for testing.
>
> The new web UI is definitely a move in the right direction! Good work.
> It's quite difficult to judge the workflow at this point though
> because there's a couple problems I'm facing that seem like bugs or
> errors in my installation/configuration which prevent me from really
> starting to hammer data into the UI.
>
> On both the Automount Maps and Automount Keys pages, I can't see any
> of the existing automount entries. An error is displayed above the
> table: "'cn' is required". I'm thinking this might be referring to the
> cn for the automount "location" being missing/not provided? Is there
> someone to provide it that I'm just obviously missing?
>
> When I use the "ipa" command on the CLI, I can verify the existence of
> my entry:
>
> # ipa automountkey-find
> Location: default
> Map: auto.home
> <automountkey>: ryan
> <automountinformation>: -wsize=65536,rsize=65536,intr dnsname:/home/ryan
> ----------------------------
> Number of entries returned 1
> ----------------------------
>
> but browsing from the web UI, both the key and map tables appear
> empty. I can however create automount key and map entries through the
> web UI and when I do so, I can see the entry listed right after I
> create it but once I navigate away from the map or key page and go
> back, it's gone with the "'cn' is required' error in bold red again.
> Looking in the httpd error logs, this is all I get when viewing the
> key or map pages:
>
> ipa: INFO: Created connection context.ldap2
> ipa: INFO: Destroyed connection context.ldap2
> ipa: INFO: Created connection context.ldap2
> ipa: DEBUG: raw: automountmap_find(u'', None)
> ipa: INFO: automountmap_find(None, None, all=False, raw=False)
> ipa: INFO: Destroyed connection context.ldap2
>
> It seems like automountmap_find() maybe isn't specifying any automount
> "location" for where to find entries for but I'm not entirely certain
> here. Is there somewhere I'm missing in the UI where I can specify
> automount location I want to work with?
>
> Next, on the "Services" page of the web UI, I see an error in bold red
> above the table which says "Request failed to /ipa/json". Checking my
> httpd error logs, I find the following error:
>
> ipa: ERROR: jsonserver.__call__():
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ipaserver/rpcserver.py", line
> 141, in __call__
> response = self.wsgi_execute(environ)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ipaserver/rpcserver.py", line
> 128, in wsgi_execute
> return self.marshal(result, error, _id)
> [...]
Unfortunately this might be one of many cases where the UI just does not
work yet.
There are some patches pending but we decided not to apply them since
they are big and could cause side effects.
The UI that you see is more a declaration of the direction of the UI
rather than a working functionality.
It has a lot of glitches we will be cleaning in the upcoming month
leading to Beta.

I guess the main goal at the moment is answering the questions like:
a) Is the whole model of the "list-select-do" like it was in old dialog
boxes is the right model?
b) Do the buttons make sense? Does their meaning makes sense?
c) Should we pre-fill the lists automatically (like it is done now) or
require search first?
d) Is it Ok to switch back and forth between the list view and item view
or we should combine them in some way?
And many more...

Ideas and comment are always welcome!
Thank you for looking into this. Sorry if we did not meet your expectations.

Thank you,
Dmitri