[Freeipa-users] 6.1 beta

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Tue Apr 5 14:00:50 UTC 2011

On 04/05/2011 09:54 AM, Sigbjorn Lie wrote:

>>> I see your point. I'll increase the TTL of my production zone and see what happends then. What
>>> do you think of having only the _srv_ entry, no named hosts at all in sssd.conf ?
>>

>> The reason the install script sets one named host is just to be extra
>> cautious. If DNS is not resolving for some reason (BIND crashed, or someone accidentally blocked
>> port 53, etc.) then SSSD will still attempt to reach the named host before giving up and going
>> offline.
>>
>> It's not strictly necessary, but neither should it ever be harmful.
>> Obviously if DNS is resolving correctly at all times the named host will
>> never be used.
>>

> Ok. I see.
>
> Why is the _srv_ records not used in the domain/default as well? And what exactly is the
> difference between domain/ix.nixtra.com and domain/default?

[domain/default] is not in use. It's put there by authconfig (which we
use to bootstrap the SSSD setup process) but we disable that domain.
Only domains listed in the
domains = <domain1>, <domain2>, ...
line of the [sssd] section are active.

We leave it in there to be a good citizen (in case it actually was
configured previously). That way we don't wipe out any settings that the
user may have had in it.

- --
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761