[Freeipa-users] Word of warning on freeipa availability

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 15:23:39 UTC 2011

On 04/21/2011 04:11 AM, Steven Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Anybody contemplating using Free-ipa should check with Redhat sales in their region before getting interested. It seems freeipa wont be sold in all regions, as an example in Asia Pacfic like RDS it may never be sold....or at least it may years away. So without access to the replication/AD sync channel and no support envisaged I would think its of limited use....

I am not sure this is the accurate information.
It was true regarding v1 but it most likely will be different with v2.
I do not think the information you are commenting on is even shaped
internally as the official sales of IPA will start only with 6.2. IPA is
in tech preview in 6.1.
The access to replication bits is in fact needed via Red Hat contact.

I am really not sure what you are trying to say with this post?
"IPA is bad, do not use it?"

It seems that supporting something requires knowledge and right people.
It might be very well possible that Red Hat would not be able to ramp up
the right support resources for all geographies day 1. It is the
question of time and demand.

FreeIPA - community release is available and supported using the
standard "best effort" model across the globe.
It is unclear what other expectations are not met.