[Freeipa-users] Optionistic approach for new DNS API

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Wed Dec 14 21:41:57 UTC 2011

Hello all,

we just had a good discussion with Rob and Endi about different approach
to the new DNS API. Current DNS API proposal (patches 174-176)
introduced new API based on different commands, e.g. for MX RR type:

ipa dnsrecord-mx-add ZONE NAME --preference=0 --exchanger=server1.example.com.
ipa dnsrecord-mx-mod ZONE NAME "0 server1.example.com." --preference=1
ipa dnsrecord-mx-show ZONE NAME

As a side effect, this would introduce many new commands
(dnsrecord-mx-add/mod/show, dnsrecord-loc-add/mod/show, ...) which may
of course be confusing.

Endi proposed an different approach to use rather per-type options
instead of commands, which I think is really interesting to think about.
I will summarize how the API may look like.

Changes to DNS module commands:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- no new DNS command would be implemented, we would just enhance current
dns record commands:
  * dnsrecord-add, dnsrecord-mod, dnsrecord-del and dnsrecord-find
- all changes must be compatible with 2.x clients, changes to output
shall be triggered by 3.x option

Command Structure:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- we would introduce --type option which would trigger the command to
use the new structured DNS options, i.e.:

ipa dnsrecord-add ZONE NAME --type=mx --preference=0 --exchanger=server1.example.com.

or

ipa dnsrecord-mod ZONE NAME VALUE? --type=mx --preference=0

or

ipa dnsrecord-del ZONE NAME --type=mx --preference=0 --exchanger=server1.example.com.

- SHOW and FIND commands do not need this new --type parameter

Command Output:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- we would introduce a new --structured option which would switch
command output to "structured way" and present rather parsed DNS records
instead of raw DNS values (this is also needed for 2.x compatibility).

For JSON output we may get:

{
     idnsname: 'foo',
     records: [