[Freeipa-users] limit access to a specific CN

Peter Doherty doherty at hkl.hms.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 16 14:28:10 UTC 2011

On Feb 16, 2011, at 04:10 , Sumit Bose wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 06:30:51PM -0500, Peter Doherty wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 15, 2011, at 14:45 , Simo Sorce wrote:

>>> It is possible to do using LDAP tools and then setting an ACI on the
>>> container to give the user you want full control on that container.
>>>
>>> Simo.
>>
>> Simo,
>>
>> This gave me a good starting point, and after reading some more,
>> I'm starting to wrap my brain around what I want to do and how to
>> do it.
>> LDAP has a steep learning curve, IMHO.
>> Can you recommend any GUI tools for creating/modifying the ACI for
>> the container?  I started to try and create an ACI using the ones
>> within FreeIPA as a reference, but if there's a GUI that would be
>> useful too.  I checked out Apache Directory Studio which looks
>> nice, but doesn't seem to support the schema that FreeIPA is using.
>
> I use Apache Directory Studio to edit FreeIPA LDAP objects and I can
> also see and edit ACIs. The schema shouldn't be a problem, because the
> editor can read the schema data from the LDAP server. Which kind of
> problems are you seeing ?

Well, Apache Directory Studio has ACI editor (looks like this: http://directory.apache.org/studio/screenshots.data/aci_visual_1.png
  )
so you don't edit the text directly, but rather use a GUI, which
builds the policy in text and inserts it when you're done editing.
But it seems to use a different schema than FreeIPA is using...

Peter