[Freeipa-users] limit access to a specific CN

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Wed Feb 16 14:55:06 UTC 2011

Peter Doherty wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2011, at 04:10 , Sumit Bose wrote:

>>> Simo,
>>>
>>> This gave me a good starting point, and after reading some more, I'm
>>> starting to wrap my brain around what I want to do and how to do it.
>>> LDAP has a steep learning curve, IMHO.
>>> Can you recommend any GUI tools for creating/modifying the ACI for
>>> the container? I started to try and create an ACI using the ones
>>> within FreeIPA as a reference, but if there's a GUI that would be
>>> useful too. I checked out Apache Directory Studio which looks nice,
>>> but doesn't seem to support the schema that FreeIPA is using.
>>
>> I use Apache Directory Studio to edit FreeIPA LDAP objects and I can
>> also see and edit ACIs. The schema shouldn't be a problem, because the
>> editor can read the schema data from the LDAP server. Which kind of
>> problems are you seeing ?
>
> Well, Apache Directory Studio has ACI editor (looks like this:
> http://directory.apache.org/studio/screenshots.data/aci_visual_1.png )
> so you don't edit the text directly, but rather use a GUI, which builds
> the policy in text and inserts it when you're done editing.
> But it seems to use a different schema than FreeIPA is using...
>
> Peter

You can read about 389-ds acis at:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html-single/Administration_Guide/index.html#Managing_Access_Control

It has 3 basic parts: target, permissions, bind rule

In this case the bind rule is the user you want to allow editing.

The rest depends on whether you want to restrict your user at all. If
you want it to be able to do anything you can probably get away with
putting something like this into cn=yourcontainer,dc=example,dc=com (I
haven't tested this):

aci: (targetattr="*")(version 3.0; acl "Apache access Account"; allow
(all) userdn= "ldap:///uid=apache,cn=yourcontainer,dc=example,dc=com";)

rob