[Freeipa-users] Unable to authenticate a client user against IPA

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Thu Mar 3 19:49:27 UTC 2011

"id thing" returns id: thing: no such user...

In iptraf there is a port 389 connection, suggesting its asking the ipa master about user "thing"....so its either asking the wrong Q

or the ipa master cant see the user "thing" yet its there in the gui.

One thing "thing" only exists on the ipa master, with "irwin" it exists locally so id returns local info as I see no 389 connection taking place....

there was no nslcd.conf so I wrote one as per,

8.1.4. Configuring System Login
You need to modify the /etc/nslcd.conf file, used by the nslcd service,
on the client, to include additional information about the IPA server.
This is so that the client can reach the IPA server's LDAP server for
getent commands and also for ssh. For example, you should include the
following information in your /etc/nslcd.conf file:
uri host ip-address-of-ipaserver.example.com-here
base dc=example,dc=com

So mine says,

uri host 192.168.100.2
base dc=ipa,dc=ac,dc=nz

Where 192.168.100.2 is the original master.

regards