[Freeipa-users] Disk layout - requirements

Sigbjorn Lie sigbjorn at nixtra.com
Fri May 6 15:58:42 UTC 2011

On 05/06/2011 04:12 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Steven Jones wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Digging through docs / googling I cant see any disk partition
>> suggestions and size thereof requirements...
>>
>> Suggestions please?  sizing for 500 servers, 2000 desktops, 5000+
>> users...
>>
>> Especially around having different sections of the IPA master of
>> different raid groups if that's needed...
>
> It depends in part how you use IPA. A bare-bones user entry is about
> 1k, a host that has a certificate is about the same. There is some
> amount of overhead in the DIT and you'll need to consider the space
> for groups, how many kerberos services you'll deploy (also about 1k in
> size) and what other features of IPA you'll use. We have quite a few
> indexes into the data, that will take some room too.
>
> I think additional RAM will be better than terabytes of disk. 389-ds
> is going to try to cache much of this data, and with this number of
> entries it can probably keep most if not all of the database in memory.
>
> We haven't done any analysis on different FS performance.
>
> Does that help?
>
> rob

Would you consider these documents describing sizing and performance
tuning of the RH DS to be comparable/transferable to IPA?

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html/Installation_Guide/Installation_Guide-Platform_Support.html#Installation_Guide-Platform_Support-Hardware_Requirements

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html/Performance_Tuning_Guide/system-tuning.html

Rgds,
Siggi