[Freeipa-users] ipa-client-install on CentOS 5 creating zero-length /etc/sysconfig/network file

Kelvin Edmison kelvin at kindsight.net
Fri Apr 13 16:54:44 UTC 2012

Hi,

When troubleshooting what I thought was an NFS4 issue, I have found what looks to be a bug in ipa-client-install.

On a CentOS 5.8 machine, I ran
ipa-client-install --no-ntp --force --hostname=kelvin-c5.<dnsdomainname>
and successfully bound to the domain.

I am now trying to get nfs4 up and running, and found that idmapd was not starting.  I traced that back to an empty /etc/sysconfig/network file, and ipa-client-install looks to be the cause.

[root at kelvin-c5 ~]# ls -al /etc/sysconfig/network /etc/sysconfig/network.orig /var/lib/ipa-client/sysrestore/*-network
-rw------- 1 root root  0 Apr 13 11:58 /etc/sysconfig/network
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54 Aug 12  2011 /etc/sysconfig/network.orig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54 Aug 12  2011 /var/lib/ipa-client/sysrestore/477d00fd6ff85634-network

I looked back on another CentOS 5 machine we have, and the same problem exists there.

I was surprised to see that most network services were working when the file was empty.  It turns out that many network services start properly with an empty /etc/sysconfig/network file, but some do not.  It appears to be down to the structure of the test in the init scripts; e.g.
[ "${NETWORKING}" = "no" ] && exit 0
vs.
[ "${NETWORKING}" != "yes" ] && exit 6

So, is this a bug in ipa-client-install?
Can I just copy my network.orig back into place in order to get rpcidmapd and friends to run correctly?

Thanks,
  Kelvin=