[Freeipa-users] routing requests to local servers - DNS SRV + view?

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 13:40:16 UTC 2012

On 04/13/2012 11:00 PM, Brian Cook wrote:
> Yes, this is exactly what I am trying to accomplish.  I've already
> been looking in to the BIND views clause and would like to hear if
> anyone has any feedback as to how well this works in the real world.
>
> In this case the implementation of IPA is using an external standard
> BIND implementation loading from text files.  However, views would be
> very useful for IPA to be able to do internally, so figuring out how
> to  get this option in to BIND using 389ds backend would be a useful step.

AFAIK there is an SSSD RFE that allows you to define a group of primary
servers for a client that the client would use to fail over between and
only when they all are not available it will fail over to DNS. At least
I remember a discussion about it. It seems that such feature would
accomplish the same but with less work. Would it be sufficient?

See comment 6 in the https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1128

Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IPA project,