[Freeipa-users] Problem: How to download the keytab from IPA without resetting/regenerating a new one??

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 18:52:20 UTC 2012

On 04/26/2012 10:58 PM, David Copperfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Just have a silly case where I've to download the existing version
> keytab for a service principal. It is download only -- not recreate a
> new version and download the new version which ipa-getkeytab does. --
> ipa-getkeytab command name seems a little bit misleading because it
> does both 'set' and 'get' operations.
>
>  I've overheard that there is way to get it from underlying 389
> directory server but not sure how to do it. Any one please shed a
> light on this? Similarly, how to download a host certificate form
> Dogtag because 'ipa-getcert request' also resetting it -- I may be
> wrong and so please feel free to correct me :);  or how about a user
> principal's keytab from 389 too? Thanks a lot.
>
> --David

Is it a one time operation? If so you can use ldapsearch utility. The
object that will have ipaHost object class in IPA. You can use a
Directory Manager credential to authenticate.
I suggest you do it on the server and then deliver the key and the cert
manually.

I thought that there was a flag for ipa-getkeytab to fetch existing key
but my knowledge in this area is rusty. Same with the cert.
May be someone else would chime in.

Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IPA project,