[Freeipa-users] Dovecot IMAP with IPA 2.x?

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 08:13:06 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Natxo Asenjo <natxo.asenjo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Dale Macartney
> <dale at themacartneyclan.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been experimenting with how best to address this, however I am
>> constantly being pushed back to the only way of having a userdir that
>> actually exists would be a homdir which would be created when a user
>> first logs in.
>>
>> Yes, if you ssh to the dovecot server as the user (with oddjobd running
>> in the background) it will create the homedir  with no problems and the
>> issue is resolved, however users should not *have to* interactively log
>> into a server just to allow them to access mail.
>>
>> my only thinking here is shared homedirs (nfs?) between clients and
>> servers, however my thoughts on this are "if dovecot is redirecting a
>> users mail to their homedir, then why do we need dovecot to access it
>> via imap when the mail will already appear in their homedir?"
>>
>> does anyone have any thoughts on this?

further you do not need to have the Maildirs on the users' homedirs:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/Kerberos
<quote>
If you only want to use Kerberos ticket-based authentication:

auth default {
  mechanisms = gssapi
  userdb static {
    args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/vmail/%u
  }
}
</quote>

I have not tested it, but then you could have all the Maildirs in the
imap server.

--
natxo