[Freeipa-users] Dovecot IMAP with IPA 2.x?

Dale Macartney dale at themacartneyclan.com
Fri Feb 3 08:35:19 UTC 2012

On 02/03/2012 08:13 AM, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Natxo Asenjo <natxo.asenjo at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Dale Macartney
>> <dale at themacartneyclan.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have been experimenting with how best to address this, however I am
>>> constantly being pushed back to the only way of having a userdir that
>>> actually exists would be a homdir which would be created when a user
>>> first logs in.
>>>
>>> Yes, if you ssh to the dovecot server as the user (with oddjobd running
>>> in the background) it will create the homedir with no problems and the
>>> issue is resolved, however users should not *have to* interactively log
>>> into a server just to allow them to access mail.
>>>
>>> my only thinking here is shared homedirs (nfs?) between clients and
>>> servers, however my thoughts on this are "if dovecot is redirecting a
>>> users mail to their homedir, then why do we need dovecot to access it
>>> via imap when the mail will already appear in their homedir?"
>>>
>>> does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
> further you do not need to have the Maildirs on the users' homedirs:
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/Kerberos
> <quote>
> If you only want to use Kerberos ticket-based authentication:
>
> auth default {
> mechanisms = gssapi
> userdb static {
> args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/vmail/%u
> }
> }
> </quote>
>
> I have not tested it, but then you could have all the Maildirs in the
> imap server.

just to clarify, I have just re-tested to verify... without the
mail_location the below message is present in maillog

Feb  3 08:32:37 mail04 dovecot: imap(user1): Error: user user1:
Initialization failed: mail_location not set and autodetection failed:
Mail storage autodetection failed with home=/home/user1
Feb  3 08:32:37 mail04 dovecot: imap(user1): Error: Invalid user
settings. Refer to server log for more information.