[Freeipa-users] SSH Keys?

Dale Macartney dale at themacartneyclan.com
Mon Jun 4 17:36:49 UTC 2012

On 04/06/12 18:28, Kline, Sara wrote:

> Some of my users have expressed concerns about moving to FreeIPA
because they prefer to use SSH. The main reason behind that is because
they can use agent forwarding and only have to sign on once. I did find
information on forwardable Kerberos tickets, kinit ?f. Has anyone used
this in place of SSH keys, or do you have other suggestions? There are a
few service accounts scripted to work with SSH keys so we may have to
leave a few local accounts on the servers. I don?t particularly like
that idea.

Hi Sara

The big difference here is your users will see this as you taking
something away from them. Yes kerberos tickets will work perfectly in
this situation, I do this myself. The issue you need to be aware of is
that they will expire, as they should. An SSH key is nothing more than
bypassing an authentication process.

I would recommend using centralized service accounts in place of more
local accounts, as this way you will always be able to manage them in
the future.

Does this help?

> Sara Kline
>
> System Administrator
>
> Transaction Network Services, Inc
>
> 4501 Intelco Loop, Lacey WA 98503
>
> Wk: (360) 493-6736
>
> Cell: (360) 280-2495

> This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)and may
> contain confidential and privileged information of Transaction Network
Services.
> Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you