[Freeipa-users] Transfer user database to FreeIPA LDAP

Mark Reynolds mareynol at redhat.com
Sun Jun 24 19:49:25 UTC 2012

Hi Joe,

I'm not really an IPA guy, but IPA uses 389 directory server as its
backend.  You would need to convert the your DB entries to LDAP entries,
but 389 supports your password type, so it should not be a problem if
you copy & paste the password hashes.  LDAP expects the password to be
something like:

  userpassword: {SSHA}cchzM+LrPCvbZdthOC8e62d4h7a4CfoNvl6d/w==

Mark

On 06/24/2012 02:30 PM, Joe Linoff wrote:

> Hi Everybody:
>
> We have a legacy web based application (CakePHP) that stores user data
> in a DB and I would like to transfer that information to a FreeIPA
> Identity Management Server without requiring the users to re-enter
> their passwords (if possible).
>
> How would I do that?
>
> I know that the DB stores the password as a SHA-1 hash with a salt. I
> was hoping that there was a way for the administrator to directly copy
> the SHA-1 password hash from the DB into the Free-IPA LDAP for the
> user but I don't even know if that is a reasonable expectation.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

Mark Reynolds