[Freeipa-users] compat plug-in and replication

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Fri Mar 16 19:12:03 UTC 2012

Stephen Ingram wrote:
> I've seen mention about the compat plug-in causing issues with
> replication. In my 2.1.4 installation I notice that the plug-in is
> turned on by default. Is compat only required for those supporting NIS
> or does it serve another purpose. As I don't use NIS, I'm just
> wondering if it's safe to turn off.

The compat plugin wasn't causing problems with replication but we did
see increasing memory and CPU usage during migration. We now recommend
that compat be disabled when migrating entries (who needs the overhead
anyway).

Yes, safe to turn it off depending on what your needs are. There are two
capabilities provided by the slapi-nis plugin:

1. Compatibility for older clients such as Solaris which doesn't fully
grok 2307bis and netgroup triples (ipa-compat-manage enable/disable)

2. An NIS listener (ipa-nis-manage enable/disable) which requires compat
to be enabled.

But like I said, shouldn't impact replication at all. It just reformats
data.

> I'm also wondering about replication support in Redhat versions vs
> Fedora. Earlier I saw mention that the replication feature in the
> Redhat version was going to be made available through a separate
> channel. Then later conversation led me to believe that this had been
> changed. Is this still the case?

Replication is included with 389-ds-base on both platforms.

rob