[Freeipa-users] Please help: How to restore IPA Master/Replicas from daily IPA Replica setup???

Dale Macartney dale at themacartneyclan.com
Tue May 22 16:06:43 UTC 2012

cc'ing group list back in for other opinions.

On 05/22/2012 03:38 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 05/22/2012 08:36 AM, Dmitri Pal wrote:

could we not have the ability of restoring only specific data? Like most
backup solutions?

for example
having a utility where you can run "ipa backup all" could cover the
data+config+keys, however depending on a catastrophic failure or data
deletion, maybe have something along the lines of "ipa restore data" if
we simply wanted to restore the data element of the backup.

Thoughts? IMO, i think we should look for a KISS method which is
specific to the application stack at hand.
>>> We would need to test this to make sure VM snapshots don't cause
>>> problems with replication and/or kerberos since those are sensitive to
>>> time. All of the testing we have ever done for RHDS/389 for
>>> backup/restore is based on simple database binary and ldif backups.
>>> We've never had to take into account restoring to a filesystem time in
>>> the past or a VM state that is in the past.
>> Why in the past?
>> If you take snapshots regularly say every other day when you restart a
>> VM it should act as if the connection to it was lost for couple days.
>
> Ok. Maybe it will work just fine. All I'm saying is that we better test
this well with a number of replication scenarios.
Should we really be considering snapshots as an "IPA" method of
recovery? That puts a prerequisite on the customer using either SAN
snapshotting or virtualization technologies.
If I use RHEV 2.2 as an example here, RHEV was not adopted by many
customers because there was a prerequisite of Windows. If we have a
reliance on other technologies for such key recovery principles this
will undoubtedly (possibly more in the short than long term) have a
knock on effect of adoption.

Yes it might work, but should we be sending this message across? In the
short term, if it works then great, however I think this should give us
insight into a more robust method in the future.