[Freeipa-users] Please help: How to restore IPA Master/Replicas from daily IPA Replica setup???

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue May 22 17:26:59 UTC 2012

Dale Macartney wrote:

> cc'ing group list back in for other opinions.
>
> On 05/22/2012 03:38 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:

> could we not have the ability of restoring only specific data? Like most
> backup solutions?
>
> for example
> having a utility where you can run "ipa backup all" could cover the
> data+config+keys, however depending on a catastrophic failure or data
> deletion, maybe have something along the lines of "ipa restore data" if
> we simply wanted to restore the data element of the backup.
>
> Thoughts? IMO, i think we should look for a KISS method which is
> specific to the application stack at hand.

Yes, this is the approach we're taking, as they are really separate
problems.

We aren't too keen on trying to back up individual files becuase IPA
touches so many things, in so many different configurations, that the
possibility that some important file is missed is rather high. The
impact could mean a restored server that doesn't work.

At this point we're recommending full backups and restores for
system-level backups.

As for data we're still working on it. Being able to identify and
restore certain users/groups, etc is something we want but haven't yet
worked out the details.