[Freeipa-users] Fwd: Scorched earth

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Thu Aug 29 13:21:50 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 09:14 -0400, Bret Wortman wrote:
> [...]
>         > all thinking I'm looking for someone to do all my thinking
>         for me):
>         >
>         >
>         > 1. Take snapshot of ipamaster (just in case)
>         > 2. [ipamaster2]#
>         >
>         ipa-ca-install /var/lib/ipa/replica-info-ipamaster2.foo.net.gpg (I
>         > should've done this during the ipa-ca-install, but since the
>         ca step
>         > is so rare, I didn't have it in my wiki notes).
>         > 3. [ipamaster]# reboot
>         >
>         >
>         > This reboot will trigger a Cobbler & Puppet-based wipe of
>         the system
>         > and reinstallation of F18 and freeipa-server. While that's
>         going on:
>         >
>         >
>         > 4. [ipamaster2]# ipa-replica-prepare ipamaster.foo.net
>         1.2.3.4
>

>         You need to use ipa-replica-manage to remove the original
>         ipamaster
>         before you can prepare to add a new one.
>
>         After it is fully removed and replica file generated you need
>         to restart
>         at yleast 389ds on ipamaster2 this is due to the fact that DS
>         does nto
>         purge valid tickets, and it holds a ticket valid for the old
>         ipamaster,
>         however when you reinstall the new the name will match so
>         replication
>         between ipamaster2 -> ipamaster may fail because ipamsater2
>         has a wrong
>         ticket (using old key you just nuked before the reinstall).
>         >

> Got it. Glad I asked! I'll add these steps to my procedure.
>
>         > When ipamaster is back up:
>         >
>         >
>         > 5. [ipamaster]# cd /var/lib/ipa && scp
>

>         You can copy in /root
>

> I usually do it in /var/lib/ipa I guess because that's where the
> server puts the file, so it makes it easy for me to remember that's
> where it is. But point taken.
>
>         >
>          ipamaster2:/var/lib/ipa/replica-info-ipamaster.foo.net.gpg .
>         > 6. [ipamaster]# ipa-replica-install --setup-dns
>         --no-forwarders
>         > --setup-ca replica-info-ipamaster.foo.net.gpg
>         >
>         >
>         > Usually, there's some reason I need to go back to ipamaster2
>         and
>         > either delete a dns entry or ipa host-del the system.
>

>         Uh ? Sound like this is going to screw up things, why should
>         you delete
>         DNS entries ?
>         ipa host-del of a master is *certainly* going to break
>         replication and
>         basically everything. Is this what you did in your old setup ?
>

> Only if ipa-replica-install said I needed to.

ok this means you previously uninstalled a replica directly on the
machine but tdid not remove it from the domain, this is bad practice.
you should use ipa-replica-manage before you retire a machine if
possible, otherwise you leave dangling replication agreements, DNS
names, ID ranges (this means you loose ID space), and keys.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York