[Freeipa-users] Fwd: Scorched earth

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Aug 29 15:10:43 UTC 2013

Bret Wortman wrote:
> A bit of googling has led me to understand that we must have created the
> original server with --selfsign, and that locked us into something bad
> which is now causing us problems. I'm not sure how this happened, since
> we actually created our original instance on a different server, created
> ipamaster as a replica of that one, then ran ipa-ca-install on ipamaster
> to make it the new CA. How did it end up in this state?
>
> Anyway, is there ANY way around this? Can I simply ignore this, break
> the replication agreement as Simo suggested, rebuild ipamaster,
> replicate ipamaster2 to the new ipamaster, and then somehow make
> ipamaster be a CA using Dogtag? Will that screw up all the clients?

I think we should pause and take a look at your installation.

I'd check all your current masters, whether they are currently working
or not. Look at the value of ra_plugin in /etc/ipa/default.conf. That
controls what IPA thinks the CA is.

Then check to see if you have dogtag running on any of these systems.
This will include a 2nd 389-ds instance, /etc/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-IPA and,
depending on your distro, a PKI service like
pki-tomcatd at pki-tomcat.service. You can optionally see if
/etc/pki/pki-tomcat exists.

There is currently no way post-install to add a dogtag instance.

rob