[Freeipa-users] Fwd: Scorched earth

Bret Wortman bret.wortman at damascusgrp.com
Thu Aug 29 15:26:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Rob Crittenden <rcritten at redhat.com>wrote:

> Bret Wortman wrote:
>
>> A bit of googling has led me to understand that we must have created the
>> original server with --selfsign, and that locked us into something bad
>> which is now causing us problems. I'm not sure how this happened, since
>> we actually created our original instance on a different server, created
>> ipamaster as a replica of that one, then ran ipa-ca-install on ipamaster
>> to make it the new CA. How did it end up in this state?
>>
>> Anyway, is there ANY way around this? Can I simply ignore this, break
>> the replication agreement as Simo suggested, rebuild ipamaster,
>> replicate ipamaster2 to the new ipamaster, and then somehow make
>> ipamaster be a CA using Dogtag? Will that screw up all the clients?
>>

> I think we should pause and take a look at your installation.
>
> I'd check all your current masters, whether they are currently working or
> not. Look at the value of ra_plugin in /etc/ipa/default.conf. That controls
> what IPA thinks the CA is.
>
> on ipamaster: ra_plugin=dogtag

and either that same value or the ra_plugin doesn't exist on the replicas.
On ipamaster2, the one I just installed, there is no ra_plugin in the file.

> Then check to see if you have dogtag running on any of these systems. This
> will include a 2nd 389-ds instance, /etc/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-IPA and,
> depending on your distro, a PKI service like pki-tomcatd at pki-tomcat.**service.
> You can optionally see if /etc/pki/pki-tomcat exists.
>
> ipamaster definitely has a /etc/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-IPA directory, with files
updated fairly recently (within the past 30 minutes - lse.ldif and
lse.ldif.bak, others updated yesterday). I also have a pki-tomcatd at .service
file and a pki-tomcatd.target. no /etc/pki/pki-tomcat.

ipamaster2 only has /etc/dirsrv/slapd-FOO-NET. It does have
pki-tomcatd.target and pki-tomcatd at .service. No /etc/pki/pki-tomcat.