[Freeipa-users] Fwd: Scorched earth

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Aug 29 15:40:33 UTC 2013

Bret Wortman wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Rob Crittenden <rcritten at redhat.com
> <mailto:rcritten at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Bret Wortman wrote:
>
>         A bit of googling has led me to understand that we must have
>         created the
>         original server with --selfsign, and that locked us into
>         something bad
>         which is now causing us problems. I'm not sure how this
>         happened, since
>         we actually created our original instance on a different server,
>         created
>         ipamaster as a replica of that one, then ran ipa-ca-install on
>         ipamaster
>         to make it the new CA. How did it end up in this state?
>
>         Anyway, is there ANY way around this? Can I simply ignore this,
>         break
>         the replication agreement as Simo suggested, rebuild ipamaster,
>         replicate ipamaster2 to the new ipamaster, and then somehow make
>         ipamaster be a CA using Dogtag? Will that screw up all the clients?
>

>     I think we should pause and take a look at your installation.
>
>     I'd check all your current masters, whether they are currently
>     working or not. Look at the value of ra_plugin in
>     /etc/ipa/default.conf. That controls what IPA thinks the CA is.
>
> on ipamaster: ra_plugin=dogtag
>
> and either that same value or the ra_plugin doesn't exist on the
> replicas. On ipamaster2, the one I just installed, there is no ra_plugin
> in the file.
>
>     Then check to see if you have dogtag running on any of these
>     systems. This will include a 2nd 389-ds instance,
>     /etc/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-IPA and, depending on your distro, a PKI
>     service like pki-tomcatd at pki-tomcat.__service. You can optionally
>     see if /etc/pki/pki-tomcat exists.
>
> ipamaster definitely has a /etc/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-IPA directory, with
> files updated fairly recently (within the past 30 minutes - lse.ldif and
> lse.ldif.bak, others updated yesterday). I also have a
> pki-tomcatd at .service file and a pki-tomcatd.target. no /etc/pki/pki-tomcat.
>
> ipamaster2 only has /etc/dirsrv/slapd-FOO-NET. It does have
> pki-tomcatd.target and pki-tomcatd at .service. No /etc/pki/pki-tomcat.

Ok. When you created the replica file for ipamaster2, did you create it
on ipamaster? Only a replica that is a CA can create a replica with a CA.

If you generated the replica file on another master, I *think* what you
can safely do is this:

- prepare a replica on ipamaster for ipamaster2 and copy the file there
- on ipamaster2 run ipa-ca-install against the updated replica file

rob