[Freeipa-users] ipa-client-install 2.58 client incompatible with 2.49 server

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Sat Dec 28 17:50:33 UTC 2013

Will Sheldon wrote:

> Hello :)
>
> I'm trying to setup a ubuntu 12.04.3 client running freeipa-client
> 3.2.0-0ubuntu1~precise1 form the apt repo at
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/freeipa/ppa/ubuntu
> The server is a (fully updated) centos 6.5 box running ipa-server.x86_64
> 3.0.0-37.el6
>
> The script mostly works on a stock install, but there is an error
> uploading SSH keys, This appears to be called from the
> ipa-client-install script line 1436:
>
>          result = api.Command['host_mod'](unicode(hostname),
>
> Which generates the following output when run:
>
> stderr=
> Caught fault 901 from server https://ipa.[domain].com/ipa/xml: 2.58
> client incompatible with 2.49 server at u'https://ipa.[domain].com/ipa/xml'
> host_mod: 2.58 client incompatible with 2.49 server at
> u'https://ipa.[domain].com/ipa/xml'
> Failed to upload host SSH public keys.
>
> I understand that this is not a critical failure and that I can manually
> upload the host keys if needed but the bit I don't understand is where
> the version numbers come from.

The API version is baked into the client and server. We generally
provide a backwards compatible server, but right now not the client (so
a new client can't always have 100% success talking to an old server).
We are actually working on this, especially for client enrollment, to
make things work more smoothly.

> How do I revert the api to version 2.49 to match the server?

You'd have to modify ipapython/version.py on each client before
enrollment. For enrollment I can't think of any side-effects, but if you
ever tried the IPA admin tool on such a client then some odd things
could happen.

> What is best practice here, should I be using a different source for the
> client install script?

I don't know what is available for Debian/Ubuntu clients these days. It
is being worked on very hard though I think the focus is on the latest
source which explains the mismatch.

> Is there a copy of the correct client files stashed on the server somewhere?
> Would anyone be interested in helping with development of a yum and apt
> repo on the server to make all this easier?

The server being the IPA server, so it can distribute the client bits?
An interesting idea.

rob