[Freeipa-users] how do i apply patch?

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Wed Jan 9 15:39:49 UTC 2013

On 01/09/2013 03:27 PM, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> i'm interested on patch
> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/changeset/1eab43d29244f6e0b8d6f3146317624715d84af7/
> so i can have user to be able to reset own password
>
> do i manually edit each listed files or is there any specific step(s) needed?

These patches (in a form sent to freeipa-devel-list) are generated by
using 'git format-patch' command and are supposed to be applied using
'git am' or 'git apply' command. They can be also applied on source
codes using 'patch' utility.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3418277/how-to-apply-git-diff-patch-without-git-installed

If you work with our git repository the easiest way might be 'git
cherry-pick'.

 From your question isn't clear whether you want to patch source codes
of some release (ie. 2.2) and then build a custom build or you want to
modify already installed server. I suspect the latter.

In both cases you might run into a problem that the patch does not apply
because it depends on some modifications done by some previous patch.

It seems that you want to add password reset functionality to FreeIPA
2.2. If that is the case you should also look at
https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/attachment/ticket/2276/freeipa-mkosek-274-password-change-capability-for-form-based-auth.patch
because this one adds the core functionality which the UI page uses. If
you manage to incorporate Martin's patch, you should just use
install/ui/reset_password.html and install/ui/reset_password.js  and the
modifications in install/ui/ipa.css from the changeset you linked. In
any case I do not recommend to such modifications. They have high
potential to break things.

HTH
--
Petr Vobornik