[Freeipa-users] how do i apply patch?

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Wed Jan 9 16:30:46 UTC 2013

On 01/09/2013 04:39 PM, Petr Vobornik wrote:
> On 01/09/2013 03:27 PM, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
>> i'm interested on patch
>> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/changeset/1eab43d29244f6e0b8d6f3146317624715d84af7/
>>
>> so i can have user to be able to reset own password
>>
>> do i manually edit each listed files or is there any specific step(s) needed?
>>

> These patches (in a form sent to freeipa-devel-list) are generated by using
> 'git format-patch' command and are supposed to be applied using 'git am' or
> 'git apply' command. They can be also applied on source codes using 'patch'
> utility.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3418277/how-to-apply-git-diff-patch-without-git-installed
>

> If you work with our git repository the easiest way might be 'git cherry-pick'.
>
>  From your question isn't clear whether you want to patch source codes of some
> release (ie. 2.2) and then build a custom build or you want to modify already
> installed server. I suspect the latter.
>
> In both cases you might run into a problem that the patch does not apply
> because it depends on some modifications done by some previous patch.
>
> It seems that you want to add password reset functionality to FreeIPA 2.2. If
> that is the case you should also look at
> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/attachment/ticket/2276/freeipa-mkosek-274-password-change-capability-for-form-based-auth.patch
> because this one adds the core functionality which the UI page uses. If you
> manage to incorporate Martin's patch, you should just use
> install/ui/reset_password.html and install/ui/reset_password.js  and the
> modifications in install/ui/ipa.css from the changeset you linked. In any case
> I do not recommend to such modifications. They have high potential to break
> things.
>
> HTH

Hello Umarzuki,

You can use the steps that Petr suggested. Just please be cautious about my
patch 274 that Petr sent an URL to. This was a first proposal of the patch, the
resulting patch crafted after the review process is much different. This is the
correct link:

https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/changeset/d1e695b5d0323167d37eee340718eb5e65138716/

If you want to do a custom build, you can either use a fedpkg and create a
scratch build of IPA with the patches applied or do a custom build from git
tree. Using the fedpkg tool + build in koji may be the safest way to build such
rpm that contain only the official build + chosen patches.

Martin