[Freeipa-users] What does the "u" mean in IPA messages?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Mar 1 21:01:42 UTC 2013

On 03/01/2013 03:17 PM, KodaK wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM, John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 02/28/2013 05:34 PM, KodaK wrote:
>
>> BTW, why are you parsing diagnostic output?
>
> I haven't actually started yet, I was just getting my bearings.
>
> I was going to wrap the commands in some scripts so I can do things
> like allow an auditor to view the results of an HBAC test without
> being able to modify them.  Among other things.  Is there a way to
> turn off the diagnostic messages?  They appear to be on by default.

INFO messages are output when the verbose flag is enabled
DEBUG messages are output when the debug flag is enabled

Those flags can either be set in a config file (/etc/ipa/default.conf or
~/.ipa/default.con) or via a command line argument.

If you haven't passed the verbose flag to the command then it must be
set in one of the config files.

Petr Viktorin <pviktori at redhat.com> recently cleaned up how messages are
managed in the command line tools (I don't think this has made it out
into a public release yet). So there may be changes coming you'll want
to be aware of, perhaps Petr might fill us in on what's different.

I think we had some client tools that forced verbose to be enabled when
it should have respected a command line option and/or config option. I
think that's some of what Petr fixed.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?