[Freeipa-users] IPA - initial questions

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Sat May 11 00:58:21 UTC 2013

On May 10, 2013 1:33 PM, "Herb Burnswell" <herbert.burnswell at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Rob,
>
> Thank you for your response.  One of my filters on gmail was blocking the
approval responses, I should have known it was user error ;-).  I'm all set
on the subscription.  Also, thanks for the tip on searching google that
way, I'll investigate questions that way.

> Regarding root user, that was what I was thinking.  So that kind of takes
away the ability to centrally manage the root password for 100's of systems
via IPA correct?  Or is there a way to do that?

The root user should be local to every host without access to root relying
on something external such as IPA or any other network service.  If IPA
goes down you still want to be able to gain access to servers.  To manage
root I'd recommend Puppet, or any configuration management tool if one
already exists in your infrastructure.  A single global 'user' resource or
'root module' (in the case of Puppet) can be assigned to every host
allowing a single, central, change to propagate to all hosts.

like site:https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/ <search-terms>

>>> Second, I have attempted to subscribe to the list a couple times but
>>> have not received any email notification and cannot log in via the
>>> credentials I created.  Am I missing something or am I just waiting for
>>> an approval from moderators or other?
>>

>> I don't see any failed subscription requests. I went ahead and
subscribed you.

>>> Regarding IPA, my initial question is how do folks handle the root
>>> user?  Is root maintained via IPA centrally or since it's a special
>>> account is it sill maintained directly on all systems?
>>

>> You always want to be able to log in locally as root if something goes
wrong. sssd purposely excludes the root users for this reason.

>> If you want to limit root access then you'd be better of investigating
SUDO and limiting who knows the root password(s).

>> rob

I also use Puppet to push out a non-root, local account, for emergency
situations as root on my servers is only accessible via SSH key
authentication or local console.  This gives my team a way to access
servers if key pieces of our infrastructure are down or in maintenance.

- Trey