[Freeipa-users] IPA AD Trust issue

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Wed Sep 11 06:51:26 UTC 2013

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, KevinTang at umac.mo wrote:
>Dear Alexander,
>
>If I use 'ipa-replica-prepare' to replica Windows AD to/from IPA AD, Will
>all user account in Windows AD 'copy' to IPA AD, and my IPA client can
>logon with Windows AD username only? (only use 'userA' to login directly,
>not 'userA at win_ad.com').
If you are using ipa-replica-prepare against Windows AD, you are using
winsync/passsync which is copying user entries from AD to IPA. In this
case AD users become IPA users. It is not a trust per se, only a
synchronization. In particular, users will not be able to use their AD
Kerberos credentials at all.

But yes, in winsync case these users will be able to login with just a
user name.

>Or after replication, can I use IPA account logon Windows Client PC only
>with ipa username? (only use 'userB' logon, rather than 'userB at ipa_ad.com'
>to logon).
No, synchronization is from AD to IPA, not the other way around. A
change in IPA for the account which was synchronized from AD will be
propagated back to AD but IPA users will not be copied to AD.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy