[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA integrating samba4 + AD

Christovam Paynes Silva christovamps at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 03:27:47 UTC 2013

2013/9/11 Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com>

>  On 09/11/2013 04:02 PM, Christovam Paynes Silva wrote:
>
>  It is a pity!
> Thank you!
>

> I did not get a feeling that we understand the whole picture correctly to
> say that we provided the full answer..
>
> What I get from the description:
> 1) Presence of Windows Clients = 100

Correct!

>  2) Presence of AD to rule them

Correct!

 3) Presence of users (I deduce in AD too, but unclear) = 1000

Correct! Users are wirelessly. Use windows and linux without domain.

>  Intent: use open source technologies instead of proprietary solution.

That's right!

> What is not clear:
> a) Are the users that come through the portal the same users that use
> Windows Clients or not? Is there an overlap?

Users are via wireless. Authenticate users on a "captive portal" with
Squid. Customers are windows, linux and without domain.

> b) Is there any kind of Linux servers/machines in the picture?

This question was not clear to me.

> If you do not have Linux systems and all users can be stored in one place
> it might be that you do not need FreeIPA. It might be that you can solve
> the problem by using Samba4 instead of AD, connecting your clients to it,
> putting your external portal users into a special OU in Samba4, configuring
> FreeRADIUS to use this OU for authentication. Configure your portal to use
> RADIUS.

Sorry, I may not have understood the concept of FreeIPA.

I would like to continue using the AD, because of Group Policy Objects
(GPO).
It has the ability to authenticate email services, applications, among
others directly in Samba4?