[Freeipa-users] Force IPA to accept password?

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Fri Sep 27 09:16:47 UTC 2013

On 09/27/2013 11:03 AM, Innes, Duncan wrote:
> [...]

This should help:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/FreeIPA_Guide/user-pwdpolicy.html

You can control character classes - if you set that for example to 3, password
need to have at least:
- one number, one lower-case char, one upper-case char
OR
- one number, one special char, one lower case char.

You can also set minimal length. These 2 options should provide the settings
you requested.

Note that the policy is not related to PAM, it is required by an LDAP server
plugin on FreeIPA server - so that it affect all possible password changes -
like "ldapasswd", "passwd", "kpasswd" and others.

> Would like to be able to ensure that the minimum password policy is
> centralised
> rather than perhaps having an erroneous strict policy on a few machines.

+1. You can set that centrally on server, you can even set different policies
for different groups. It can just happen that pam_pwquality.so may interfere
(as we found out) and add it's own password quality requirements on top of
FreeIPA centralized ones.

Martin