[Freeipa-users] services and openSSL and stuff

Andrew Holway andrew.holway at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 12:29:20 UTC 2014

I might as well write this down here :)

I have found this mechanism works:

On the service machine:
  - openssl req -out CSR.csr -new -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout privateKey.key
# a common name must be entered here which is the hostname

In the IPA interface:
  - Services
  - Add
  - HTTP/service.domain.com at DOMAIN.COM
  - New Certificate
  - Paste the output of the 'openssl' command
  - Get
  - Copy contents

On the service machine:
  - Paste contents -> /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca.crt
  - Move private key -> /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca.key
  - adjust "SSLCertificateFile" in apache
  - adjust "SSLCertificateKeyFile" in apache

However running:
ipa-getcert request -f /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca.crt -k /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca.key -r

replaces all of the above. It will return something like:
"New signing request "20140426115309" added."

If you want to replace the certificate run this first.
ipa-getcert stop-tracking -i 20140426115309

Else you will see this message:
Certificate at same location is already used by request with nickname
"20140426115309".

And here is some official docs I just found:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Certmonger#OpenSSL