[Freeipa-users] Replica Cert failed to renew ...

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 14:07:35 UTC 2014

Right, the processing route may not seem obvious. certmonger uses the server
from /etc/ipa/default.conf. This server does not necessarily need to also run
CA, we count with that option.

When certmonger wants to renew or request a certificate, it calls cert-request
API call on that server. The API call calls Dogtag backend which checks if the
server is a CA powered IPA. If it is not, it picks any other master where CA
*is* installed and connects that for the certificate operation. Check
_select_any_master in ipaserver/plugins/dogtag.py if you are interested about
the code.

Does that help?

Martin