[Freeipa-users] Using Native OTP for auth from specific hosts

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 20:33:26 UTC 2014

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2014, Michael Lasevich wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Alexander Bokovoy
>> <abokovoy at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>>> You can always supplement authentication check with some host-specific
>>> information at the VPN concentrator. We don't have ready to use
>>> solution
>>> here but it is definitely possible to use such scheme against FreeIPA
>>> 2FA.
>>>

>> Sorry, I am not following.  What do you mean by "host-specific
>> information"? If system has no way to detect how many factors were
>> involved
>> in authentication, how would I be able to guarantee that only 2FA is
>> allowed via this box?
>>
>> I suppose this can work: I can write code that will:
>>
>> 1 - detects if there are OTP numbers at the end of the password
>> 2 - authenticates using full 2FA
>> 3 - authenticates using just password without 2FA
>>
>> And then authenticate only if all 3 conditions are satisfied. Seems a
>> bit
>> hacky, but that is the only way I can think that may work.
> 2 and 3 are the same from IPA point of view, just an LDAP bind.
> Ideally SSSD could handle this as part of a PAM stack by providing PAM
> feedback that could be used by other modules. There was no request for
> this functionality before.
>
> However, I was mostly thinking that you may have an authentication
> sequence where past successful auth you would check tokens associated
> with the user to see if there is a recent update within the same time
> period on one of tokens. This would work right now, though it is a bit a
> hack -- a better one than the 2-accounts-per-user.

Here is more info:
1) Right now there is no way to scope the 2FA to different hosts. It is
all or nothing.
2) There are plans to be able to differentiate which services would
require 2FA and which would allow just a single factor.
We might not have filed specific RFEs in IPA because most of the work
needs to happen in Kerberos.
There are two approaches:
a) Allow users authenticate using 2FA or single factor at their
discretion but centrally control which services can be accessed with
ticket that is acquired with single factor. That would prevent users
from accessing the services that require 2FA.
b) For smarter services (which do not exist yet and would have be
implemented) they would be able to look into the ticket themselves and
see the information how ticket was acquired and then make a decision
based on that.

The place where the information of how the authentication was performed
is called CAMMAC -
http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/Projects/Authentication_indicator

HTH

--