[Freeipa-users] ipa 2 client connecting to ipa 3 server

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 19:43:16 UTC 2014

Walid wrote:
> Thanks Rob, we have native python2.4, and anaconda python 2.7,  so i
> guess if anything needs python 2.6 or greater it would not be an issue.
> I  am just wondering if there are people using the upstream project in
> such a legacy system ;-)

It's not just python, it's all the modules as well.

In the end the issue isn't so much ipa-client as all the related
dependencies. The ipa-client package just helps configure things, sssd
does all the heavy lifting. If you wanted to backport anything I'd start
there, and it is likely extremely non-trivial.

I know that people still use RHEL-5 and the current 2.2-based client.
It, and its related packages, generally works fine you just miss out on
some of the newer features, particularly in sssd (like sudo and autofs).

rob