[Freeipa-users] ipa 2 client connecting to ipa 3 server

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 19:49:01 UTC 2014

On 08/20/2014 09:43 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Walid wrote:
>> Thanks Rob, we have native python2.4, and anaconda python 2.7,  so i
>> guess if anything needs python 2.6 or greater it would not be an issue.
>> I  am just wondering if there are people using the upstream project in
>> such a legacy system ;-)
> It's not just python, it's all the modules as well.
>
> In the end the issue isn't so much ipa-client as all the related
> dependencies. The ipa-client package just helps configure things, sssd
> does all the heavy lifting. If you wanted to backport anything I'd start
> there, and it is likely extremely non-trivial.
>
> I know that people still use RHEL-5 and the current 2.2-based client.
> It, and its related packages, generally works fine you just miss out on
> some of the newer features, particularly in sssd (like sudo and autofs).
You can try to build sssd on 5.3 but I suspect it will require so many
dependencies that you system would look more like a 5.10.
You can try but this will be an adventurous effort.
For old systems like that we recommend using what they had then and not
SSSD. Users will be able to authenticate and posix data will be the same
as on the more modern systems which should be sufficient for the needs
of those old systems anyways.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal