[Freeipa-users] Monitoring FreeIPA with SNMP

Dimitar Georgievski mitkany at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 16:43:27 UTC 2014

I have successfully enabled SNMP monitoring of FreeIPA server following the
instructions available at RedHat's portal:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Monitoring_DS_Using_SNMP.html

The problem is I cannot retrieve any metrics from the monitored server:

Examples:
Try to walk the whole rhds sub-tree

> snmpwalk -v 2c  -c public -mALL   localhost rhds
> RHDS-MIB::rhds = No more variables left in this MIB View (It is past the
> end of the MIB tree)

I was expecting the redhat sub-tree would be instantiated under
private/enterprises(2312)

Judging from the snmpwalk output the RHDS sub-tree is missing in the MIB
view.  My understanding is that beside configuring the SNMP agents for
monitoring I don't need to configure the LDAP/FreeIPA server for
monitoring,
Is there anything else I need to configure, that is maybe not mentioned in
the documentation?

We are using
- FreeIPA -3.0.0
- CentOS release 6.5 x86_64
- NET-SNMP version 5.5

dirsrv-snmp agent configuration
 /etc/dirsrv/config/ldap-agent.conf

>   agentx-master /var/agentx/master
>   agent-logdir /var/log/dirsrv
>   server slapd-EXAMPLE-COM

and log output

> 2014-08-26 10:58:48 Starting ldap-agent...
> 2014-08-26 10:58:48 Started ldap-agent as pid 27008

snmpd AgentX log output

> Aug 26 10:43:48 106 snmpd[26607]: Turning on AgentX master support.
> Aug 26 10:43:48 106 snmpd[26609]: NET-SNMP version 5.5

 Thanks

Dimitar