[Freeipa-users] authentication against compat

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Thu Feb 13 23:23:51 UTC 2014

On 02/13/2014 06:04 PM, Steve Dainard wrote:
> I don't think this is an issue of bugs or documentation, more of
> design. Perhaps there's someplace other than a users list this belongs
> in but:
>
> If IPA is a centrally managed identity and access control system,
> should these configurations not be passed to clients, rather than
> every client needing configuration changes post join? Obviously I can
> automate config changes, but why would I want to? I don't think
> sudoers priv is a fringe case, its pretty much THE case for
> access/admin control. I cringe to compare to a Windows domain, but I
> don't have to manually tell a domain client that it should respect the
> rules I set on a domain controller, I joined it to the domain for this
> reason.
>
> Maybe you're working towards this, but in the meantime it would be
> great if the options existed in the config files so we immediately
> know what options are available and can comment/uncomment them rather
> than searching around man pages for options that might exist.
>
> I believe you were looking for a documentation bug:
>
> # man sssd-sudo
>        To enable SSSD as a source for sudo rules, *add sss to the
> sudoers entry* in nsswitch.conf(5).
>
>        For example, to configure sudo to first lookup rules in the
> standard sudoers(5) file (which
>        should contain rules that apply to local users) and then in
> SSSD, the nsswitch.conf file
>        should contain the following line:
>
> * sudoers: files sss*
>
> # /etc/nsswitch.conf
> #
> # An example Name Service Switch config file. This file should be
> # sorted with the most-used services at the beginning.
> #
> # The entry '[NOTFOUND=return]' means that the search for an
> # entry should stop if the search in the previous entry turned
> # up nothing. Note that if the search failed due to some other reason
> # (like no NIS server responding) then the search continues with the
> # next entry.
> #
> # Valid entries include:
> #
> #nisplusUse NIS+ (NIS version 3)
> #nisUse NIS (NIS version 2), also called YP
> #dnsUse DNS (Domain Name Service)
> #filesUse the local files
> #dbUse the local database (.db) files
> #compatUse NIS on compat mode
> #hesiodUse Hesiod for user lookups
> #[NOTFOUND=return]Stop searching if not found so far
> #
>
> # To use db, put the "db" in front of "files" for entries you want to be
> # looked up first in the databases
> #
> # Example:
> #passwd:    db files nisplus nis
> #shadow:    db files nisplus nis
> #group:     db files nisplus nis
>
> passwd:     files sss
> shadow:     files sss
> group:      files sss
> #initgroups: files

> [...]
Managing configuration files is outside of scope of IPA or SSSD. We
looked at this at the beginning of the IPA project a got a push back
from administrators who are used to control their Linux infra via
Puppet, Checf and similar means. We are also working on the OpenLMI
provider for SSSD this would allow to introspect and potentially
configure SSSD from the central console, may be even from IPA. But this
is future.
For now the expectation is that some configuration needs to be done
manually or via some scripting. This is how things have always been.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Red Hat Inc.